5 ways to know your child is ready for music.
I have been teaching young children music for around 15 years now and I had to ask myself the same question recently, "When is my child ready for music lessons?" I knew because of research and experience teaching, but when I saw my own child demonstrate similar characteristics I knew what I told our parents all these years was actually true.
Here are a few characteristics in comparison to watch for from your child to see if they are musically inclined. If you do not see these characteristics, don't worry your child might not gravitate to playing an instrument yet. It can sometimes happen over night though. Also, check out the video of a 1 year old that truly loves music and is ready to learn.
Babies and Toddlers
- Attention span is limited but curious when playing musical instruments and different sounds
- Dances and sings often
- Request music on trips and at home
- Listens intently to music when played
- Young children, screaming is another sign, unfortunately..
Ages 7 and older
- Loves to sing
- Loves to listen to music
- Interested in dancing is also a sign of rhythm interest